For this exercise I managed to find two types of water-soluble fabric to try, one was a clear plastic film, and the other was opaque and felt more like paper. To start off with I tried out the plastic film with dark colours – I first stitched a grid on to the film with black thread using a straight stitch, then I went back over it using a zig-zag stitch in lots of different shades of blue and green trying to create a progression from to the other like you would find on the colour wheel. I spent a lot of time working on this piece as I thought it would require a lot of stitches to hold the new lacy fabric together, but when I dissolved the film I found my stitches had formed quite a hard and dense mat, so I decided with my next piece to try a few less layers of stitches. Read the rest of this entry
My OCA textiles course claims that drawing ability doesn’t matter, as anybody / everybody can do simple mark making – even my two year old little boy! Somehow that doesn’t stop me from feeling that some of the work I produce is just plain rubbish. So instead of it getting me down, and just throwing away half the stuff I start in disgust (bad work makes me angry!!!), I thought I’d just try and improve my drawing skills. After doing some research on the internet I came across a book called ‘New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain’ by Betty Edwards. I’ll be doing a full review on the book when I’ve finished it, but for now I thought I’d share some of the work I’ve been doing to practice ‘sighting’.
Read the rest of this entry
Ignore the date, I did this on 26/05/14 and just can’t count!
First up is some charcoal work. I started off by making rubbings of leaves and other surfaces in the garden, then tried making a few quick sketches of the things around me including plants, animals and even the uneven texture of the ground. Unfortunately the charcoal was smudging everywhere and when I sprayed it with hairspray it caused the work on the previous page to show through! Read the rest of this entry
For this exercise I cut a simple 8 cm x 8 cm square out of a piece of thick card to use as a stencil, I then worked within the stencil using various graphite pencils to create a range of marks. I picked 6 words from the list provided and tried to recreate the feeling of each word on paper. Some of them, like fast and smooth, ended up with both attempts looking similar; however, I was very pleased with the results of bumpy and sharp, I feel that these have a clear difference between them.
Read the rest of this entry
Now I think this could almost be the most fun I’ve had with my drawing in ages. For some reason I found it very satisfying to make these little sketches, I tired to keep some of them quite similar to better contrast the differences between the marks made by both mediums.
I started with the pencil sketches first trying out all the different pencils in my sketching tin (4H to 6B). I found it very difficult to create the darkest tone unless I used a 5B or 6B pencil, even creating many layers of marks with a harder pencil couldn’t create such a dark effect. However, I found it very easy to create light, pale tones with most of the pencils simply by pressing less firmly. The pencils were also good for creating very neat, definite marks, my favorites have to be the little crosses and swirly pattern, I think both of these would translate very well into stitches.
Next I tried various types of charcoal sticks and pencils, these were not so good for creating clear lines, even the hardest ones were very smudgy, although this made it much easier to create graduating tones of darkness. I think the two sketches made of overlapping straight lines would translate well into stitches, but I think all the rest would need paint to be recreated on fabric, or at least a very fluffy, loosely spun yarn.