With my quest to embrace all things green in full swing, I spotted this pale green outfit for 50p when I was out with the kids the other day. Now the outfit was totally not my style but I thought it had excellent potential! I started off by trimming quite a few inches out from the waist down to the hem of the skirt, then I stitched it back up careful to keep my seam hidden in the pleats, and overlocked it to neaten everything up. My skirt fit round the waist then but was far too long for my liking so I cut it in half , hemming the top half to make a lovely little summer skirt, and keeping the rest to try and make in to a dress – using the jacket in some way to make a bodice! I really love my new skirt, and I think the colour green is finally starting to grow on me! It turns out there are many shades of green that I do like, they just happen to be muted rather than vibrant.
Linking up with Finish it up Friday!
I haven’t posted about this dress before, even though it was finished back in April, and also happens to be my third Anna Dress from By Hand London. I saw this beautiful cotton voile in a blog post from The Village Haberdashery and just knew I had to have it! (You should totally check out their selection here, I would buy the lot if I could!!!) I wasn’t even sure what it was going to become, but I’ve always wanted a lovely soft summer dress in this kind of pattern, so I bought 1.5m before the photo was even up on the website – guessing from the description and praying I’d chosen the right one! When it arrived it was just as beautiful as I’d hoped, and it washed and tumble-dried wonderfully.
This dress is fairly simple to make – sewing it together is mostly straight lines. In this case a lot of straight lines as I did french seams through out (the inside just had to look as beautiful as the outside). I chose not to line it as even though the fabric is so light weight its not particularly transparent, and I figured it would be lovely and cool in the hot weather – I just wear a slip under it if necessary. This was the first time I tried making the slash neck, as my first two were both v-neck’s which after taking 2″ out of the back fit perfectly. Unfortunately this neckline just didn’t sit right even after taking the 2″ out of the back. It’s hard to see in the awful photo’s but it was all baggy at the top a bit like a cowl neck – obviously I’m missing the necessary assets to fill it out . I tried to embrace this look thinking maybe it would be ok, but after a couple of wears I just couldn’t take it anymore, it had a whole saggy boob feel to it, unbearable! So it hung there on the side of my wardrobe mocking me, the fabric so pretty, the fit so bad, the unpicking – YUK! *Sad face*
Finally today I bit the bullet, I tried unpicking the front neckline (voile is not fun to unpick) and took 1.5″ out from the centre, curving back up to meet the back piece and reattaching it to the facing, but of course that didn’t work as it would’ve been too easy. After that I was totally fed up, (would I ever rescue this lovely fabric!!!!!!) so I hacked off the neckline at the front below the topstitching with some nice big fabric shears – that felt satisfying! I put it on and pinched out the excess fabric, turning it into 4 1/2″ pleats then sewed it all back together, and amazingly it worked! This is now my favorite dress ever, so pretty and so comfy! And with only 4″ in total taken out from the neckline?! I guess at least I’ll know for next time!
Linking up with Finish it up Friday.
I can’t get enough of these skirts now I know how simple they are to make! Read the rest of this entry
One evening this week I took some time out from the mountain of projects I have piled around the house, to whip up a simple skirt using Anna Maria Horner’s free pattern. Read the rest of this entry
Max and Meg.
Just a quick finish this week! There’s not been much time for sewing between the little monkey above (ours is the top one), and the school holidays! Read the rest of this entry
I’ve just had the best holiday with my beautiful family, although it was much too short! Can I do it again? No? Well that sucks, guess I’ll have to wait for next year now! But I certainly did enjoy wearing lots of the clothes I made – so comfy!
Read the rest of this entry
Lovely fitted back view!
Attack from a crazy child!
I’ve been working on my Amy Butler Raincoat for MONTHS! This is one project that seems to have dragged on and on and on…
Read the rest of this entry
A few days ago, sparked by our sudden heat wave, I was looking for a really simple blouse pattern I could whip up super fast – using the smallest amount of fabric possible! I came across this very simple pattern on the Village Haberdashery blog, and I thought brilliant! So I pulled out some Tula Pink fabric I’ve had sitting around pre washed, just waiting to be made into something wearable! Read the rest of this entry
Over the last few weeks I’ve been super busy, finishing up my giant swoon quilt, working on my Amy Butler jacket and raincoat, making a pile of various birthday presents, and going to a couple of fabric workshops!
Read the rest of this entry
My first finish this week is a dress I adapted from an old pattern my Nan gave me. I wasn’t too keen on the neckline of the original, I tried it on this
top, and I don’t like the way it sits, it’s way too high and also has a facing which is always flapping around annoyingly! Read the rest of this entry