For this stage I found out some paintings I’d made whilst experimenting with making marks, and a card I’d received for my birthday. I studied the textures that could be seen then went looking through all my bits and bobs for things I felt were similar. I felt the first pink painting seemed like it was oozing down the paper and I made up a small sample to try and recreate the feeling. The second big pink painting reminded me of a flower, like the one shown on a piece of silk, I could see this being made up with many layers of appique, french knots and beads as it looks so lumpy and bumpy. Read the rest of this entry
To start off this stage I tried sewing with chunky threads and strips of material on some hessian. I then tried making my own threads, first up was the fabric twine, made following this tutorial, I have to say this was totally addictive – I could make metres and metres of this stuff! Next up I stretched out some thin strips of jersey fabric to make a thick thread. Both these handmade threads have very different textures, the fabric twine is quite rough and firm, whereas the jersey strips are soft and stretchy. Read the rest of this entry
To start creating stitches with texture, I first got out my sewing machine, free motion foot and embroidery hoop. Read the rest of this entry
I borrowed the book Drawn to Stitch by Gwen Hedley from the library recently as it seemed to fit in with the things I’ve been experimenting with whilst learning about making marks. The beginning of the book covers many of the areas that I’ve been studying lately, refering to different ways to draw and mark lines and then progresses on to the different background’s you can create to put these markings on.
For my sample I was inspired by a photo of some bubble wrap I took, which I then played around with in photoshop. The orginal bubble wrap was all dirty and muddy from spending winter out in the garden and nothing like the clean, shiny, white colour it was when it was new. I wanted this to influence the colours and fabrics I used so it would feel earthy, weathered and natural, not man-made and perfect like it was to begin with. I started by taking a piece of cream calico, crumpling it up and dabbing it with poster and fabric paints, I did this a few times, then wet the fabric and rubbed it together so the paint smudged and faded. When it was dry I iron it and placed it on top of some hessian before placing it in my embroidery hoop. I then picked an array of fairly neutral, natural coloured threads and a deep blue (for shadows) to work with. I found some beautiful recycled string in just the right colours, but it was so thick I struggled to get it through the calico so in the end I used couching to hold it in place, and could only sewing directly with it on the hessian. In places I used stitches such as backstitch, chain stitch and couching to create very solid areas at the edges of the bubbles, but in others I used randomly worked straight stitches and single chain stitches to create a broken and mottled effect. I also experimented with appliqueing a small piece of leather and sewing on some small beads as I felt their colours and ‘feel’ matched the effect I was going for. Overall I’m very happy with how this piece turned out, even if it doesn’t look much like the picture that inspired it!
To begin this stage I started out using a simple running stitch to see what effects I could produce, Read the rest of this entry
To start off Project 2 I whipped out my sewing machine and started just playing around with different stitches, sticking with working within a square shape like my previous mark making exercises.