Project 1 Stage 2 – Other ways to make marks

Standard

Exercise 4.

For this exercise I had fantastic fun experimenting and trying out as many different techniques as I could. Unfortunately I couldn’t try anything with chlorine bleach as I’m allergic to it, but I’m sure there must be an alternative that I can come up with.

  • Printing – I started off by using a simple wave shaped lino cut I made to print with various paints, I found gouache struggled to stick to the lino and beaded up so didn’t make the best print, but acrylic paint worked much better – especially on fabric. I then used a plastic milk bottle top, corrugated cardboard scored with an X, my fingertip and a foam T stamp to repeat the experiment. Printing with bottle top had be my favorite though, I like the sparkly golden O shapes produced.
  • Stencils – I then tried stippling the acrylic paint through a stencil, and washing gouache over another. I felt the gouache worked better and produced a very flat and neat matte finish where as the acrylic escaped around the stencil more.
  • Crayon scratch – I only tried this once, its hard work to put so many layers of wax on and then scratch it off again, and I didn’t find the results that impressive.
  • Wax resist – I tried drawing with wax crayon then washing over the top with paint, I already know this works well with watercolours so I tried it with gouache and acrylic paint, the gouache works brilliantly just like watercolour, but the acrylic sticks to the wax and doesn’t work as a resist.
  • Combing – I applied acrylic paint then tried wiping it off and scraping it off with a knife, the knife works really well so I think I’ll try that again.
  • Rubbings – I tried this with wax crayons and watercolour pencils which both work really well, I even managed to pick up the texture of some heavy twill fabric. I found just normal coloured pencils didn’t work as well as the watercolour ones,  I guess the watercolour ones are softer.
  • Rubbing away – I tried this with graphite pencils and charcoal, it worked very well on the harder versions of both, but just smudged on the softer ones.
  • Collage – I experimented with newspaper, watercolour pencil on printer paper and, my favorite, magazine pages and tissue paper glued onto calico fabric then painted over – this would make a great base for stitches.
  • Fabric – I experimented with splattering Dylon fabric paint on to cotton poplin with a toothbrush, I started with it straight from the jar which produced very fine drops, then mixed more and more water which gave bigger and more smudged effects. I also used masking tape to block some areas before splattering, printed with my lino cut, splattered paint through a heart shaped card stencil and over the edge of ripped newspaper.
Advertisements

One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s