This is my first finish of the week, it’s a little string quilt top measuring about 24.5″ sq, I had fantastic fun using up some of the leftover Field Study scraps from my modern medallion quilt, it was such a lovely change to just do some random sewing and trimming without a pattern to stick to after weeks of sewing 3.5″ squares together!
I also made this T-shirt, I originally bought some of this fabric to use in my scrappy swoon quilt, but all I could think about was how much I’d love it as a top so I gave in and bought an extra metre!
It’s hard to tell but it has a pale cream and peach floral design on it, so summery! I didn’t use a pattern for this top, I had an idea in my mind of how I wanted it to look, and it didn’t quite get there! Originally it started out with a dipped hem and a round neck, but by the time I finished the sleeves I wasn’t happy with it. It doesn’t help that my darling husband describes any top with a high neckline as looking like a pajama top! So I added a placket down the front, giving it a more girly feel in my opinion! I didn’t bother adding buttons as I always tend to wear a vest top under everything here in chilly old England! This meant though that the neckline facing was on show, so not being keen on the the serged edges I added a bit of lace to hide them. Eventually I also decided I didn’t like the way the dipped hem sat over my jeans, so it was bye bye to that too! So after all that evolution, I’m finally pleased with how it turned out, although it still needs a wash and press – not perfect, but perfectly wearable!
This last project I started today in nap time, and I’m hoping when it’s finished that it’ll help cheer up a very special friend of mine…
Linking up with Finish it up Friday!