Assignment 2

Standard

Reflective commentary.

Overall I enjoyed this section of the course. It was fun, messy and produced some interesting samples of work, it was however extremely time-consuming! I found it difficult to set aside enough time to set up, do the work, then clean up – and any interruptions meant my paint all started to dry out. I also struggled to find many sources of inspiration in my sketchbook as the coursework I was doing involved much simpler shapes and more colour than the sketches I tend to do. It made me realise that more of my sketchbook work needs to be about pattern and colour than the finished sketches I tend to produce. Read the rest of this entry

Project 5 Painting and printing

Standard

 

I picked these two lino prints from my last lot of work to develop further, I wasn’t sure about the rough broken lines around the central triangle patterns though so I recut a new piece of lino with a plainer background, then made a larger and smaller version to experiment with too. Read the rest of this entry

Experiments with printing and painting

Standard

Block printing and relief printing

For this I found some items from around the house to try printing with, this included a milk carton top, a cotton reel, leaves, bubble wrap, carved corks, children’s textured rolling pins and pieces of cardboard. I also made some linocuts and a simple relief block from cardboard and string. Read the rest of this entry

Project 4 Developing design ideas

Standard

Stage 1.

For this first exercise I had to play around with black squares to create some interesting arrangements, I used smaller black squares than stated in the instructions a I didn’t feel it was necessary for them to be 3cm x 3cm – it just seemed to use up way too much room in my sketchbook! The top two arrangements are supposed to look static, but still interesting, the bottom two should show movement – I think the bottom left one is my favorite, it somehow feels more easy on the eye than the others!

I did the ‘lines’ section at 12cm x 12cm as suggested, the top one is supposed to be peaceful, whereas the bottom one is supposed to show tension – although I think maybe broken lines would’ve portrayed this better. Read the rest of this entry

Research Point: Medallion Quilt

Standard

This is a quilt I started making as part of a ‘Hand-stitched Class’ from a blog called ‘Stitched in Color’ when I was in the dark depths of post-natal depression. The colours feel rich, warm and jewel-like to me which I find rather comforting. It is roughly a square shape, about 60in sq. Not only is it made from beautifully patterned fabrics but it also has plenty of hand embroidery and quilting to add to the decorative effect. Read the rest of this entry

Project 3 Colour: Stage 6 Combining textures and colour effects

Standard

Machine Embroidery.

For this exercise I managed to find two types of water-soluble fabric to try, one was a clear plastic film, and the other was opaque and felt more like paper. To start off with I tried out the plastic film with dark colours – I first stitched a grid on to the film with black thread using a straight stitch, then I went back over it using a zig-zag stitch in lots of different shades of blue and green trying to create a progression from to the other like you would find on the colour wheel. I spent a lot of time working on this piece as I thought it would require a lot of stitches to hold the new lacy fabric together, but when I dissolved the film I found my stitches had formed quite a hard and dense mat, so I decided with my next piece to try a few less layers of stitches. Read the rest of this entry

Project 3 Colour: Stage 5 Coloured Stitches

Standard

For this exercise I had to use a black background and two primary colours – I picked red and blue to work with. I tried mixing the colours together in two different ways, using small crosses and french knots. The crosses blend together when viewed from a distance, whereas the french knots are still very separate looking. I think the amount of background fabric showing through has a big effect here, with the french knots not much of the fabric is visible so theres a clear contrast between colours, but with the crosses a lot of black can be seen, which I think dulls the effects of the colours on each other. Also, the crosses don’t directly touch, just sit near each other, whereas the knots are pressed up against each other. Read the rest of this entry

Project 3 Colour : Stage 3 More recording colours accurately…

Standard

I’d been finding the subject of colour matching, and which colours play nicely together very confusing so I attended a workshop run by a local artist called Vicki Norman. One of the first things we looked at was how to accuratly match a colour.

Order of matching when colour mixing.

  1. Hue – colour eg. red, blue etc
  2. Value – light or darkness
  3. Saturation – bright vibrant colour through to grey de-saturated ones.

Read the rest of this entry